Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 20 - January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

This morning I went on a hike called Lower Gella.  This was the one someone warned me about yesterday.  I talked to one of the guides this morning & he said there was some moderate inclines & some declines, but nothing too much.  Okay, well his definition of "moderate" is certainly different than mine!!  Apparently it was somewhere around 7 miles.  It was a good hike & I really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call it "moderate"!  Actually, I liked the rocks, sand & uneven surfaces.  Our group split into two groups and I was in the faster group, but I was the slowest.  Not a big deal to me, except I found it frustrating as they would leave as soon as I caught up to them!  On the way back, my foot stayed on a rock a little longer than it should have & I pulled my quad muscle as I climbed down from the rock.  Luckily after the hike we had a really good stretch class!  I put some ice on it this afternoon & I know it will be fine by Monday.  Actually that is the closest thing to an "injury" that I have had since I have been here.  Sore muscles, you bet...but no debilitating injuries!

I was talking with one of the guides on the way back today & I told her I want to do more hikes like the Lower Gella.  I want to be challenged more and be at the back of the group, rather than be in the front with an easier hike.  Last week, when I went on the 3rd Ravine hike, I was in front with the guide.  We were cruising along & then we would wait to make sure the others could see us.  One of the advantages of being in the front was that I got a couple of chances to catch my breath.

Earlier this week when I did the infamous "stop sign" hike, I had a guide with me for the last mile (by far the most difficult).  I told him to just keep telling me stories as I could not carry on any type of conversation.  He kept asking me if I wanted to stop & rest and I wanted to yell "NO!" but all I could do was shake my head vigorously.  He did a great job of distracting me while I kept going up the steep incline, but I wanted him to do was to walk a little faster, so I would challenge myself more.

We had the weekly graduation ceremony tonight & then we had karaoke night.  It was fun to sit back & listen to the songs & sing along WITHOUT a mike in front of me!

That's it for now...time for bed!

Here are some photos from my hike today:








2 comments:

  1. Hi! Sounds like quite the hike! And after reading your past blogs to catch up it seems like things are going well for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I love how you are "all in"! Sorry I haven't been in touch before now but the holidays consumed me and the time got away. I like to hear about the cycling. What kind of a bike are you riding? Is the cycling fitness based or are they sharing strategies of distance riding?

    I got let go from the bike shop 2 days before Christmas...DARN! Just not enough sales this time of year. I guess it means more time to ride this spring!

    I'll look forward to reading more about what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete