Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 23 - Tuesday, January 4, 2011

As I got out of bed this morning, the shin really started to hurt with every step.  I was soooooo mad!  I do NOT like shin splints (of course, who would??)  I talked to one of the trainers & she suggested I stay in the gym instead of going on the hike.  That meant I was going to miss the assessment hike.  Usually the first hike of the week is when they figure out which van to place you in for the hikes.  They try to keep people who go around the same speed together.  I have not been pleased with my van placement, but each week has its own different set of circumstances.  My goal for this week was to move up to a van with more challenging hikes.  Of course, now all chances of that would be dashed...

I stayed in the gym & burned a lot of calories, but missed being outside.  In the afternoon, during one of the cardio classes, one of the trainers pointed out that each of us determine how hard we are going to work & she mentioned it didn't matter what van you were in.  I got to thinking about that & I realized that I was getting too wrapped up in the number (hmmm...me, conerned about a number??  Never...).  It doesn't really matter which van I am in because if I am in front, one of the guides will always be with me. There are usually 3 guides with each van -one in the front, middle & back.  I came to terms & realized that I didn't have to prove anything to the hiking guides or myself.  Lesson learned...get over the van assignment...just give it my all!

1 comment:

  1. An awesome lesson. It's so hard NOT to get into comparing ourselves with others--whether it's a hike or any other aspect of life!

    ReplyDelete